Never had a boiler service before? Find out what to expect from our expert team at Scottish Fuels.
Your oil fired boiler service guide
Your boiler does more for you than you might think. From washing up to hot showers and keeping you and your family warm, you need a fully functioning boiler 365 days a year – and not just when it’s cold. In our boiler service guide, we’ll tell you what to look out for, why it’s so important, and how you could benefit from a boiler care plan.
What is an oil boiler service and why do I need one?
A boiler service is an inspection carried out by a trained engineer. You can ask for a boiler service whenever you like, though most customers have a check-up once a year.
During the boiler service, your engineer will look for signs of wear and tear, helping to identify problems before they turn into something serious.
Boiler services are absolutely essential for your safety. Oil boilers need servicing because a poorly maintained boiler may lead to a breakdown and costly repairs. In the event of boiler failure, you get left out without central heating and hot water until it’s fixed, which can take time. Being left out in the cold can be disastrous anywhere, but especially in the Scottish weather conditions.
Breakdown repairs can be costly as well so ultimately regular boiler servicing will save you money.
When choosing a boiler maintenance service, it’s crucial to pick a trained professional. Every boiler engineer at Scottish Fuels is OFTEC-registered, offering you added assurance.
What to expect from a boiler service with Scottish Fuels?
Oil boilers in particular require regular care. Our friendly customer care team will arrange a service with an engineer in your area at a time that suits you. During this service, your engineer will:
- Check for water leaks to the tank. If water mixes with oil and enters the tank, it can cause deposits to build up. This build up could lead to reduced fuel efficiency, so we’ll run a water ingress ‘dip check’ to make sure.
- Check for impurities. Frozen water can seep into the oil line during cold weather, so our dip test will check to make sure this cannot happen.
- Change the nozzle. Our engineers will replace the nozzle to prevent any congealed oil from causing problems.
- Check electrodes and photocells. We’ll check the electrodes and photocells (used to ignite and monitor combustion flames) for soot deposits. These may cause your boiler to turn on and off, so we’ll clean any deposits we see.
- Clean the trap: If the trap is left for too long without cleaning, condensation and dirt can collect, leading to shutdowns. We’ll tidy up the trap to prolong your boiler’s life.
How can I prepare for a boiler check from a heating engineer?
You can keep your boiler in good health by checking the pressure regularly and bleeding your radiators. You should also check that the flame is blue – any other colour could be a warning sign.
Protect yourself from life’s emergencies with a boiler care package
Our boiler care packages* can help you and your family stay warm and cosy 365 days a year. Pick one of our packages that suits you best, and opt to pay via 12 manageable monthly direct debit instalments if you prefer to split out your oil boiler servicing costs.
- Boilershield Plan – covering you for an annual service of your boiler or cooker
- Boilershield Plus Plan – covering you for an annual service, parts, labour and breakdown
Find out more about what’s included in our different boiler care packages.
Keep your family cosy with Scottish Fuels
Our local OFTEC-registered engineers are here to keep your home running smoothly. Our dedicated heating services customer care team in turn can answer any questions you have along the way.
Call 03457 620 620 to book an oil boiler service with us or to ask us about a boiler care plan.
* Boilershield and Boilershield Plus are subject to terms and conditions. For Boilershield customers, charges apply for parts and additional labour to service schedules.